Are you looking for AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo on Samsung Galaxy J6? If yes, then you are in the right place. Today we will guide you on how to install AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo on Samsung Galaxy J6 (lilac) smartphone.
If you are here for the first time to install AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo on Samsung Galaxy J6, you can read our article to know the difference between custom ROM and stock ROM. To install a custom ROM, you need to unlock bootloader and you must have the latest TWRP Recovery on your phone. This is a treble based ROM built by phhusson. Well, he is an XDA Recognized Developer who built most of the GSI treble ROM in XDA forum. Thanks to him for making this possible to install on Samsung Galaxy J6 (lilac). If your device supports TWRP Recovery, You can follow our tutorial on how to flash custom ROM using TWRP Recovery.
What’s in Android 8.1 Oreo:
After rolling the Android 8.0 Oreo, we know that Google will surely come up with the latest version which will improve the features which were implemented in Android 8.0 version.
As you’d expect, Android 8.1 Oreo is an incremental update that builds out some of the new features found in the first version of Oreo. Android 8.1 Oreo is an improved version and shortcomings of Android 8.0 Oreo – This doesn’t mean Android 8.1 doesn’t include the new feature because it does. Here are all the features of Android Oreo [8.0/8.1]
Features of Android Oreo:
- Notifications Channels (8.0)
- Picture In A Picture (8.0)
- Multi-Display Support (8.0)
- Keyboard Navigation (8.0)
- Background Limits (8.0)
- New Wi-Fi Features (8.0)
- Better Icons (8.0)
- Autofill (8.0)
- Cheeseburger Emoji (8.1)
- Neural Networks API (8.1)
- Pixel Visual Core co-processing technology to third-party developers (8.1)
- and many more
Steps to Install AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo on Samsung Galaxy J6 (lilac)
To install this ROM on Samsung Galaxy J6, First of all, you need to Unlock Bootloader on your device, and then Install TWRP Recovery. If you already have TWRP, then you can simply follow the below guide to Install TWRP Recovery. In case if there is no TWRP, then flash the firmware via ADB Sideload method.
ROM is still under experiments. GetDroidTips will not be responsible for any internal/external damages to the device that may happen while/after following this guide.
- Supported Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy J6
- Charge the Samsung Galaxy J6 to a sufficient battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the process.
- We strongly recommend you to take a complete backup of your personal data, including the internal storage. The phone will be formatted, so be prepared for it. You can also follow our Android backup guide for the same. [Follow any method]
- You need a USB cable to connect your phone to PC.
Method 1: Install via TWRP Recovery
- First of all, make sure to download and move all the above required ROM packages on your Samsung Galaxy J6 (lilac) Internal storage.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP Recovery and Swipe Allow Modifications (Appears for the first time only)
- Once you are in TWRP Recovery, first of all. Take a complete backup of stock or custom ROM using TWRP.
- Now wipe the cache, data, and system before flashing the AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo on Samsung Galaxy J6.
- To Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, and Data and then swipe to wipe. [su_note note_color=”#fef0ef” text_color=”#000000″]Warning: Make sure not to select Internal storage[/su_note]
- Now you can install the System image file in TWRP: Install -> Install Image -> select system.img
- That’s it! Reboot and enjoy!
Method 2: Install via ADB Sideload
—> How to Install Generic System Image on Project Treble Devices
I hope this guide was helpful to install the AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo on Samsung Galaxy J6 (lilac) based on Project Treble GSI images.
[note color=”blue” title=””]
If this method doesn’t work, then go to the AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo Phh-Treble thread in XDA and report your issue.
Source: XDA , 4pda|| Credits to phhusson